Probably a Huguenot, a master blacksmith and possibly trained at Versailles, Jean Tijou arrived in England with William III and Mary II. He began making ironwork for the gardens at their new residence, Hampton Court Palace.
Tijou created a new style of flamboyant ironwork. His most notable work was the twelve panels of the screen, which now bears his name, and can be seen, where it was installed in 1701, at the river end of the Privy Garden.
The screen was the first exhibit in the new Victoria & Albert Museum before being returned to Hampton Court.
Sadly Tijou was never fully paid for his work and disappeared soon after 1710.