Archaeological collection overview
The archaeology collection is of great site-specific importance to the history of the palaces, their construction and development. It holds items that shed light on the daily lives of those who lived in the palaces, from servants and soldiers to high status courtiers and royalty.
The collection also provides important insights into use of these areas before the palaces were built, such as Anglo-Saxon Whitehall, the Roman City of London, and pre-historic Surrey. The collection has local significance, national and international importance.
The collection is located at the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace and Kew Palace.
Artefacts from the archaeological collection
The pewter tankard was found during archaeological excavations on the site of an old pub at the Tower of London. It forms part of a large collection of archaeological finds which includes Tudor stove tiles, smoking pipes and shoes from the 14th century.
The tankard dates from around 1800 and is engraved with the name F. Dobson. Dobson was a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London from 1791. He had his own tankard at the Tower's very own pub, the Stone Kitchen.