William and Mary purchased Nottingham House from Daniel Finch, Earl of Nottingham in 1689.
They immediately commissioned Sir Christopher Wren to enlarge the property.
The improvements came to an abrupt halt in 1694 when Mary died suddenly of smallpox.
After some years William did return to the project and the King’s Gallery was completed.
Mary II was a great homemaker, and at Kensington Palace her massive collection of ceramics was arranged through all her rooms.