About this learning resource
Delve into the story behind the public celebration of royal weddings. Students will consider continuity and change by looking at the ways in which the wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert influences the public celebration of royal weddings today.
The resource includes:
- A PowerPoint slideshow exploring Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s courtship and the ways in which their marriage celebrations set the standard for subsequent royal weddings
- Three papercraft activity sheets for pupils to write their own friendship vow, decorate a wedding cake and design a stand-up triumphal arch
- Supporting notes and information for teachers.
National Curriculum links:
- Exploring the lives of significant individuals in the past
- Extending knowledge of British history beyond 1066
- Understanding historical concepts such as continuity and change and using them to make connections.
Image: The Marriage of Queen Victoria (detail) by Sir George Hayter, 1840-2. Royal Collection Trust/© Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2018