Audio guide tours
There are four audio tours of different areas of the palace available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese, Russian and Korean:
The following areas are also available, in English only, in versions for partially sighted visitors - please enquire at the distribution desk in the Information Centre if you wish to use them:
- Henry VIII's Kitchens
- The William III's Apartments
- Georgian Private Apartments
- Young Henry VIII's Story
We also have four family audio tours in English that are suitable for children aged 6 and over:
How to get an audio guide tour:
- A beastly palace
- Tudor rich and poor
- William III's Apartments
- The Georgian Rooms
- There is no need to book and you don’t need to show your admission ticket. However, they are subject to availability
- Just go to the Information Centre off Base Court to collect the equipment. Audio tours begin in Clock Court and units should be dropped off at the East or West Gates or returned to the Information Centre after use
- Please note that they shouldn't be taken in the palace cafe or into the gardens
Guided tours or talks with a member of palace staff
These are generally seasonal and don’t take place every day. They cover a range of specialist subjects - from the gardens (both the history of them and the work that goes on in them) to the Great Vine in the summer months, from tours of the Verrio paintings to a specific tour of the Little Banqueting House in the autumn, and conservation tours or object talks on a more general theme at any time of year. Details are in 'Your day at court'.
How to join a tour or talk given by a member of palace staff:
- You don’t need to show your admission ticket
- However, you may need to reserve a place as some tours have a limit on numbers. If this is the case, go to the Information Centre off Base Court
- Check 'Your day at court' for day and time details
Private guided tours
There is a fourth option - hire one of our Institute of Tourist Guiding Level 2 Hampton Court Palace Guides to take you round on a personal, private guided tour. This option is in addition to palace admission tickets and must be booked at least a week in advance.
Prices start at £110 + VAT at 20% (£132.00) for a tour lasting one and a half hours.
Tours can be tailored to the needs and/or interest of the party. For more details, click here.
Guide Lecturers can take between 1 and 50 people on a private tour - the price is the same regardless of the number of people - although large groups should bear in mind that there are some very small rooms at Hampton Court Palace so smaller-sized groups make for a more comfortable, and more informative, tour.
Tours of the palace and/or the gardens are available, and it is also possible to have a tour of the palace roof. Tours do not have to be in English - we have three Guide Lecturers qualified to give tours in French, German or Italian and one of our guides is Deaf and a native British Sign Language user - although this is subject to the availability of individual guides.
How to book a private guided tour with an ITG Level 2 Hampton Court Palace Guide:
- Print off a copy of the booking form (pdf below) and return it to the contact details on the form. If you require help or want further information, the same numbers can be used.
Some files are provided in PDF format - you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files.