Talks and debates
Royal chapels: past and present
Wednesday 7 December
10:00 - 16:00
£85 / £78 members (includes lunch and coach)
Explore royal worship through the ages. On this study day you will:
- Enjoy morning tea/coffee at Kensington Palace
- Hear a talk from Reverend Canon Paul Wright MBE (Sub-Dean for H.M. Chapels Royal) on the history of religious royal life at Kensington Palace
- Travel by coach from Kensington Palace to St. James’s Palace
- Hear a talk and receive an exclusive tour from The Reverend Canon Paul Wright, MBE, Sub-Dean for H.M. Chapels Royal on the royal history of St. James’s Palace, with particular focus on the Stuart and Commonwealth eras
- Travel by coach from St. James’s Palace to Perkin Reveller restaurant (next to the Tower of London)
- Enjoy a 2 course festive lunch at the Perkin Reveller restaurant
- Hear a talk and receive an exclusive tour from Reverend Canon Roger Hall MBE (Chaplain to Her Majesty The Queen) on the royal history of the Tower of London, with particular focus on the Tudor era
Brunch time lectures
This season, our brunch time lectures focus on Victorian leisure time. Ticket includes entry to the talk and a glass of Bucks Fizz.
The Victorian mania for stories
Saturday 5 November
11:00 - 12:30
£15 /£12 members and concessions (includes glass of Bucks Fizz)
Discover the prominence of Victorian storytellers and forms like penny dreadfuls, novels and serials with author and great-great-granddaughter of Dickens, Lucinda Hawksley. What impact did the rise of literacy have on storytelling and cultural appetites? How did Queen Victoria respond to the novels of Dickens compared to the middling classes and how did education shape the world of reading and storytellers?
The rise of Christmas shopping
Saturday 3 December
11:00 - 12:30
£15 / £12 HRP members and concessions (includes glass of Bucks Fizz)
Explore the development of the festive shopping period as we know it. Learn about window displays and advertising, to the gifts given and received by Queen Victoria with historian Professor Mark Connelly.
Panto and performance
Saturday 14 January
11:00 - 12:30
£15 / £12 members and concessions (includes glass of Bucks Fizz)
He’s behind you! Join us for an insight into the world of Victorian pantomime, music hall, theatre and performance. Find out more about cross-dressing actors and backstage shenanigans in an era that brought entertainment to the masses. Hear from Kate Howard, historian and Creative Director for the UK's oldest professional costumed historical interpretation company, Past Pleasures Ltd.
Please note, this is a reprise of the talk given in December 2015 - back by popular demand!
Are you a member of Historic Royal Palaces? Don't forget to take a look at upcoming members' events.
Hear our talks and debates again, listen to a collection of podcasts from our adult learning programme.
Unless otherwise stated, our events are fully accessible to all. If you have any particular access requirements please notify us in advance on +44 (0)20 3166 6646 or email@example.com.