The moat is drained
Under the invigorating leadership of the Duke of Wellington, Constable of the Tower from 1826 to 1852, the moat, increasingly smelly and sluggish, was drained and converted into a dry ditch by 1845.
The Waterloo Barracks
Work on the huge new barracks, constructed to accommodate a thousand men – on the site of the Grand Storehouse destroyed by fire in 1841 – commenced.
On 14 June 1845 the Duke laid the foundation stone on the barracks named after his greatest victory – Waterloo.
The Chartist threat
The last time the Tower exerted its traditional role of asserting the power of the state over the people of London was in response to rallies and disturbances in London in the 1840s supporting Chartist demands for electoral reform.
More defences were constructed, including a huge brick and stone bastion that finally succumbed to a Second World War bomb, but the Chartist attack never materialised.
The institutions depart
It was also at the beginning of this century that many of the Tower’s historic institutions departed. The Royal Mint was the first to move out of the castle in 1812, followed by the Menagerie in the 1830s, which formed the nucleus of today’s London Zoo.
The Office of Ordnance was next to leave in 1855 and finally, the Record Office relocated in 1858.
An increasing interest in the history and archaeology of the Tower led to a process of ‘re-medievalisation’ in an attempt to remove the unsightly offices, storerooms, taverns, and barracks and restore the fortress to its original medieval appearance
Salvin and the new ‘medieval’ Tower
The way the Tower looks today is largely thanks to a 19th-century fascination with England’s turbulent and sometimes gruesome history.
In the 1850s, the architect Anthony Salvin, a leading figure in the Gothic Revival, was commissioned to restore the fortress to a more appropriately ‘medieval’ style, making it more pleasing to the Victorian eye – and imagination.
Salvin first transformed the Beauchamp Tower to make it suitable for the public display of prisoners’ graffiti, refacing the exterior walls and replacing windows, doorways and battlements.
Further commissions included restoring the Salt Tower (completed 1858) and making alterations to the Chapel of St John in the White Tower in 1864. Salvin restored the Wakefield Tower, so that it could house the Crown Jewels, which remained there until 1967, and built the bridge between it and St Thomas’s Tower. This he also restored so that the Jewel House Keeper could live there.
In the drive to complete the perfect ‘medieval’ castle, his successor, John Taylor, controversially destroyed important original buildings to create uninterrupted views of the White Tower and to build a new southern inner curtain wall on the site of the old medieval palace.
Tower as tourist attraction
Visitor figures increased dramatically in the 19th century.
Now it was not just privileged sightseers (who were paying for a guided tour as early as the 1590s), but ordinary people who enjoyed a day out at the Tower.
In 1838 three of the old animal cages from the Menagerie were used to make a ticket office at the eastern entrance where visitors could buy refreshments and a guidebook.
By the end of Queen Victoria’s reign in 1901, over half a million people were visiting the Tower each year.
Read next article>