Be part of this 700-year-old ancient ceremony
What is the Ceremony of the Keys?
Footsteps echo in the darkness. The sentry cries out, 'Halt, who comes there?' The Yeoman Warder replies, 'The keys.' 'Whose keys?' 'King Charles' keys.' 'Pass then, all's well.'
Aside from the monarch's name, this is the exact exchange that has been spoken for centuries and forms part of the traditional 'locking up' of the Tower of London.
Set amidst the mighty battlements of this ancient historic fortress, the Ceremony of the Keys is one of the oldest surviving enactments of its kind. Although the monarch may no longer reside at the Tower, the Crown Jewels and many other invaluable objects still do, therefore its importance is still relevant today.
Important information for ticket holders
Tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys must be pre-booked in advance, online only. It becomes fully booked very quickly.
Please bring the e-ticket accessed via the link on your booking confirmation. Visitors will be admitted to the Tower under escort at 21.30 precisely. Late arrivals will not be admitted.
The meeting point for the Ceremony of the Keys is the main entrance to the Tower of London, West Gate.
The ceremony concludes at 22.05 after which all visitors are escorted to the exit. There are no toilet or refreshment facilities available.
There is limited accessibility - please email us at Visi[email protected] if you have any special requirements.
We charge a nominal £5.00 per ticket. Tickets must be pre-booked online only.
December tickets are now sold out. January tickets will be released on 04 December at 16:00 (GMT).
Historic Royal Palaces members can book dates for our Member-Only Ceremony of the Keys.
Separate ticket (advance booking required)Book tickets
- Tickets are subject to our normal ticketing terms which can be found here.
- The named ticket holder must be in attendance, otherwise your group will not be admitted.
- There is a maximum number of tickets that are available to any one applicant, currently 6 tickets.
- Multiple bookings under the same name, email or address may be cancelled and will be refused entry on the night.
- We do not accept bookings by groups, schools or third parties, tour operators etc. Any bookings will be cancelled.
- We are not able to offer a waiting list.
- Photography is not permitted during any part of the ceremony.
Has your preferred date sold out?
- Tickets for any cancelled bookings will be released onto the booking system again.
- There is no waiting list for this event - please check the website regularly for up-to-date availability.
Centuries-old traditions of the Tower of London including the Ceremony of the Keys and Beating the Bounds.
The ‘Beefeaters’ have been guarding the Tower since Tudor times
Shop our products inspired by the almost 1000 years of history at the Tower of London.
Shop medieval gifts
Explore one of the most exciting times in history with our high end range of arms and armour and medieval fancy dress.
Discover our decadent range of goblets and tankards inspired by our Historic Royal Palaces. The perfect gift for a medieval fan our goblets are made in a selection of leathers, glass and pewter.