Booking information, admission rates, what's included, term dates and useful resources
plan your visit
School visits and sessions
Our curriculum-based sessions are led by expert presenters who bring the history of the palace to life through lively, interactive learning opportunities.
We offer a wide selection of curriculum-based sessions linked to a range of subjects for key stages 1 to 5, including Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
Primary sessions cater for up to 32 students, while secondary and SEND capacities vary so please check the session information.
- A facilitated, curriculum-linked session led by an expert presenter.
- Access to Hillsborough Castle’s gardens to explore at your leisure.
- Access to our two new play trails; The Imaginary Menagerie.
- A booked lunch space (30 mins).
- Pre-visit email including two teacher planning passes and essential information.
- Space to store coats and bags throughout your visit.
Please read our current safety procedures for keeping you safe on your visit.
In order to best support you and your group we will also provide:
- Essential information packs for your group leader, including the most up-to-date health and safety information.
- Timed entry slot for your school to help manage numbers on-site.
- Key stages 1-3: Dedicated meeting point and booked lunchroom.
- Teacher planning passes, included in your booking confirmation, to allow two teachers to visit and plan your day.
Important information for your booking
All school sessions are free from September 2023.
Teachers and adults
Up to agreed ratios: Free
Adults for 1:1 assistance: Free
Additional adults: £14.00
All school group visits must be booked in advance. Dates book up quickly so we advise booking at least two months in advance.
To avail of a free session, schools must be based within the UK or ROI only, and book directly with Historic Royal Palaces, and not through a third party.
2023-2024 academic year
Sessions available Tuesdays - Thursdays during term time
1 September - 27 October
1 November - 21 December
3 January - 14 February
19 February - 27 March
8 April - 28 June
The following ratios apply to all school groups visiting the castle and gardens.
Key stage 1 (age 4-7) = 1:5
Key stages 2, 3 and 4 (age 7-15) = 1:10
Key stage 5 and up (age 16+) = 1:15
SEND groups can determine their own ratios.
Groups with an inadequate number of accompanying adults may not be admitted.
Prepare for your visit
Key information and guides to support your school visit.