about this session
Key stage 2 | Subjects: History | Topics: Tudors, Stuarts, Victorians | Session type: Seasonal
Experience Christmas like the royals!
Discover how royalty celebrated at Hampton Court Palace in the past, to use the palace as evidence for unlocking the past and to explore through games, storytelling and craft.
The session includes a tour of the Tudor palace and the opportunity to make a crown to take home.
- Learn that Christmas hasn’t always been celebrated the way we celebrate it now.
- Discover that some of our modern Christmas traditions have their beginnings a long time ago, and some are much more recent in origin.
- Find out that in the past, Christmas was a celebration more centred around religion than it is now.
National Curriculum links
This session supports:
- Extending chronological knowledge beyond 1066.
- A local history study.
- Participating in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, improvisations and debates.