about this session
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) | Curriculum links: History, Literacy, PDMU, Q Skills in Communication, Skills for Life and Work | Topic: Jobs | Session type: Classroom-based, Route-based
What jobs have people done at Hillsborough Castle in the past, and today? Find out about different periods of Hillsborough’s history and the jobs people did then.
Based partly in a classroom and partly in the State Rooms at Hillsborough Castle, this session will feature the following:
• Handling objects.
• A tour of the State Rooms at Hillsborough Castle.
• A call and response activity.
• Trying on elements of costume.
• Role-playing different jobs and scenarios.
• A sensory activity in the Dining Room, exploring food served at Hillsborough Castle in the past.
• Learn about some of the jobs that have been done at Hillsborough Castle throughout its history.
• Be able to try some of the different social behaviours and skills required for different jobs.
• Make connections between jobs in the past and today.
• Be empowered to use their senses to explore new historic environments.
This session is suitable for students with MLD, SLD and PMLD. Given its focus on skills for life and work, this session is aimed at students aged 11+, but it can be delivered for younger students too, who attend special schools or units.
National Curriculum links
This session supports:
• P scales: English (Speaking and Listening) P5-8, History P5-8, PSHE P5-8
• Q Skills in Communication: Q4-Q5 Talking and Listening
• KS3 – History: Investigate the past and its impact on our world today
• KS3 – Learning for Life and Work: Career Management
• CCEA Learning for Life and Work (Entry Level): Workplace Learning (Entry 1-3), Applying for Jobs and Courses (Entry 1-3)
• CCEA Life Skills (Entry Level): Appropriate Behaviour and Practices at Work (Entry 1-3)
• OCR Life and Living Skills (Entry Level): World of Work (Entry 1-3)
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays
Up to 10 students plus additional accompanying adults. This figure is entirely flexible based on the needs of the students and will be decided in discussion with the class teacher.
Please contact us directly to discuss the particular needs and access requirements of your group.Email us Back to SEND sessions