Updated 30 July. Following government guidance, the castle and gardens at Hillsborough Castle are now open Thursday-Sunday. Please read our visit information.
Key Stage 1 | Areas of Learning: The World Around Us, Numeracy | Topic: Victorians | Session Type: Route-based
How did Victorians celebrate? Explore how rich and poor in Victorian Ireland would have celebrated important events.
Students will meet a costumed presenter portraying a member of the Hill family on the eve of the wedding of the year! Students will assist in preparations for the big day and learn about suitable entertainment, food and gifts.
Examine replica artefacts to compare and contrast the experiences of rich and poor in Victorian times. Explore patterns and symmetry within the house, before designing a wedding gift.
• Learn that Hillsborough Castle is a home with close links to the community.
• Learn that rich and poor people lived differently in Victorian times but enjoyed many similar things.
• Use their discoveries to draw comparisons between their own lives and the lives of people in the past.
National Curriculum links
This session supports:
• Pupils to explore how people and places have changed over time.
• Exploring an historical building.
• Development of speaking and listening skills and asking perceptive questions.
• Exploration of shape and pattern in the environment, including creating a symmetrical pattern.
2019-2020 Academic Year
Monday to Wednesday
Up to 32 children