Updated 30 July. Following government guidance, the castle and gardens at Hillsborough Castle are now open Thursday-Sunday. Please read our visit information.
Key Stage 2 | Subject: The World Around Us, Numeracy, Language & Literacy | Topic: Victorians | Session Type: Route-based
The Hills require new staff; please apply within. Have you got what it takes to be a servant in the home of one of the richest landowners in Ireland?
Students will meet a costumed presenter portraying a member of staff employed at Hillsborough Castle. As they explore the State Rooms and try some short drama activities, students will uncover the different roles of servants, and the hierarchy between them.
Students will use replica artefacts to undertake a few short tasks to see if they are up to the job!
• Learn that Hillsborough Castle and Gardens is a home and requires many servants to ensure it runs smoothly.
• Learn that being a servant in a 'big house' was a desirable job.
• Learn about the different roles of servants in Victorian times.
National Curriculum links
This session supports:
• Finding out about a famous person/family in the past.
• Exploring distinctive features of life in the past i.e. the life of servants in the 'big house'.
• Comparison between life now and in the past.
2019-2020 Academic Year
Monday to Wednesday
Up to 32 children