About this learning resource
The Tower of London has been used as a prison, palace and fortress. In 1605, Guy Fawkes and his accomplices launched The Gunpowder Plot.
This teacher's resource provides contextual background on monarchy, religion and society in Britain at the time of the Gunpowder Plot; and ideas for extending learning in the classroom.
National Curriculum links
- Extending chronological knowledge of significant events in British history beyond 1066.
- Constructing informed responses that involve thoughtful selection and organisation of relevant historical information
- Development of asking perceptive questions by exploring differing representations of a key historical figure.
- Interrogate evidence and question the reliability of different sources of information.
- Learn about the story of the Gunpowder Plot, and the Tower of London's role in it.
- Develop historical enquiry skills and an understanding of chronology.